The Longhorn Band will hold auditions for the position of Feature Twirler for the 2021-2022 academic year. Students must be admitted to The University of Texas to be eligible for the position.
Interested students must complete the following:
- Submit the following materials by December 1 (Materials should be sent to email@example.com):
- Cover letter
- Resume (This should include both academic/service work and twirling experience)
- Three letters of support
- Performance video (This should include a complete, unedited routine. Video from a halftime performance is preferred. If you do not have this type of video, your submission must include a combination of both exhibition and competition video. You are of course welcome to submit all three types of video if you have it!)
- Essay that answers the following prompt: Why are you the ideal candidate for the feature twirler position at The University of Texas?
Feature twirler candidates must have the following:
- Ability to read drill
- Excellent showmanship & communication skills
- Highly self sufficient & independent, a problem solver
- Outstanding team member and collaborator
- Ability to represent The University of Texas and the Longhorn Band at the highest level
Finalists will be notified by Friday, February 19. You must be accepted to The University of Texas to be invited to the final audition.
The final audition will be held on Saturday, March 13. The final audition may be held in person, but that determination will not be made until February 19, and will be based on safety considerations. If it is not possible to hold an in person audition, the event will take place via video feed.
Finalist routines must include the following. Specific requirements and music will be provided to those selected as finalists.
- 4 spins
- Double illusion/walkover
- Traveling tricks/downfield tricks
- Continuous rolls – back neck rolls, fujimis and elbow pops
- 2 & 3 baton, 4 baton highly recommended
- A variety of releases + receptions